Apprenticeships help you build the experience and skills that employers want to see. No matter what stage you’re at, they’ll help you get set for a bright future. And now, there are more ways than ever to get involved.
Find out about the three types of Scottish Apprenticeship types below.
Make a choice for future you. Choose a Foundation Apprenticeship and get industry experience plus a recognised qualification.
Learn about the world of work and gain industry knowledge while you’re still at school
There’s 12 Foundation Apprenticeship subjects to choose from and all were designed in partnership with employers.
Choose a Foundation Apprenticeship and you’ll quickly discover the benefits they bring.
- Gain a qualification that’s the same level as a Higher
- Learn essential skills employers want and strengthen your CV or personal statement
- Recognised by all Scottish universities and colleges
- Supports your application for a Modern Apprenticeship
How a Foundation Apprenticeship works
- Choose the apprenticeship as part of your subject choices in S4 or S5
- Spend time with a learning provider, such as a college
- Work on industry projects supported by experienced colleagues
- Get assessed on the work you do to achieve the qualification
- Successfully finish the apprenticeship so you earn the qualification and essential skills employers want
If you’ve recently left school, are unemployed and not receiving benefits, a Pathway Apprenticeship could help you to prepare for the world of work.
You’ll gain an industry-recognised qualification and accelerate your progression into future employment of further apprenticeship opportunities.
- It’s delivered by learning providers, such as colleges, in partnership with employers
- You’ll gain knowledge, skills and experience through a series of practical activities, including industry projects and work placements
- The apprenticeship lasts up to 26 weeks (36 weeks for engineering) and can be extended up to 52 weeks if you are care experienced or disabled
- You’ll get a £100 weekly allowance
- Following successful completion, you will have gained a qualification and valuable insight and experience of the world of work
You’ll have the chance to train and get qualifications in growth sectors with strong future employment prospects including:
- Business Skills at SCQF Level 6
- IT / Digital (software) at SCQF Level 6
- IT / Digital (hardware) at SCQF Level 6
- Engineering SCQF Level 5
- Social Services Children & Young People at SCQF Level 6
To find out more about Pathway Apprenticeships, visit the apprenticeships.scot website.