Our 2-year Craftsperson Modern Apprenticeship is an excellent opportunity to work and combine specialist on the job training and industry experience with high quality learning.
You will gain hands on industry skills whilst working alongside local teams to support FLS and protect the National Forest Estate by carrying out a range of forest management operations. You will gain practical experience and develop your knowledge and skills to achieve a Scottish Vocational Qualification at Level 2 in Trees and Timber. You will also achieve City & Guilds/LANTRA industry recognised qualifications such as Strimmer & Brushcutter, Mobile Chipper & First Aid.
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship, there is the opportunity to move into a permanent role with us and there is ample opportunity for career progression as your skills and abilities begin to develop not just with the practical skills but with your development of leadership and management skills too.
IMPORTANT: If you decide to apply please state your preferred location on the Forestry and Land Scotland application form as this will not automatically transfer from this site.
• Undertake general land maintenance duties including using a range of tools.
• Contributing towards the establishment and maintenance of new and existing plantations through planting trees, crop protection, mechanical clearing and undertaking stocking density assessments.
• Undertake Stewardship duties such as scrub clearance, path repairs, boundary and fencing surveys, repairs and construction, litter picking, road control, painting and installing furniture in our visitor attractions.
• Conducting forest surveys; including vegetation, wildlife, and environmental surveys.
• Undertaking other operations as detailed in our conservation, archaeological and recreation management plans.
• Assisting in the protection of the forest and land including waste disposal activities and fly tipping clear up.
• Learning and undertaking Health and Safety tasks relevant to your work, including wearing and utilising Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), and taking a positive approach to the H&S of yourself and others.
• Gathering and uploading evidence of your workplace activities to your online portfolio to support your SVQ.
• Completing work set by the Learning Provider in a timely manner.
• Demonstratable need for the apprenticeship programme
• Desire to complete an apprenticeship and to be an apprentice
• Desire to work outdoors in a manual or practical working environment
• Ability to communicate effectively
• Experience working or volunteering in the outdoors
• Experience of working or volunteering in a manual/practical working role
• A minimum of 2 Scottish National 4’s (Grade A-C) or equivalent which include English and Maths.
Closing date for applications: 2nd September, 2023.
To apply, please visit HERE.