THIS POSITION IS NOW CLOSED.
- Stonemasonry Modern Apprenticeship
- Locations: HES’s Skills Training Centre – Elgin and The Carnegie Club at Skibo Castle – Dornoch
- Salary: £27,088 inc. service charge + gratuities
- Qualifications: Stonemasonry SCQF Level 6
Stonemasonry at The Carnegie Club
- Our Stonemasonry team works collaboratively with our Maintenance department to maintain the Club’s extensive property portfolio, keeping the buildings and amenities on our 8,000-acre estate in excellent order. Together, they manage the ongoing conservation, routine maintenance, and replacement of stone across the estate.
- The team is responsible for the care of Skibo’s listed buildings (including the castle which can trace its foundations back to the 1200s), historic buildings like the swimming pool and Equestrian Centre that have been sensitively restored and upgraded as part of the Club’s ongoing programme of improvements, and contemporary structures like the Skibo Clubhouse.
About Modern Apprenticeships
- Modern Apprenticeships combine a qualification with on-the-job experience, meaning that you work, learn and earn at the same time.
- They aren’t just for young people – they’re open to anyone aged 16+. So whether you are a school leaver, returning to work after a break or simply looking for your next challenge, if you are interested in gaining an in-demand, specialist skillset whilst also in employment then this is a fantastic opportunity.
About the role
- You’ll be employed here at Skibo and complete the industry recognised Stonemasonry (Modern Apprenticeship) SCQF Level 6, delivered by Historic Environment Scotland [HES] in partnership with UHI Inverness.
- You’ll split your time between HES’s Skills Training Centre in Elgin where you will learn core and practical skills, and the Overskibo Stone Workshop here at The Carnegie Club where you will gain hands-on experience in industry working alongside our experienced and supportive team of highly skilled stonemasons.
- You’ll learn how to conserve, repair and replace stone. With 8,000 acres at Skibo and a wide range of buildings (from the Grade-A listed castle to the modern Clubhouse) and types of stonework across the estate including sandstone terraces, drystone dykes, and handtooled Caithness Stone signage, you’ll gain experience of working with a range of different environments, builds and sustainable stone types.
- You’ll learn about stone carving, design and technology, and as a member of the Stonemasonry team you’ll also gain experience in both scheduled and emergency repairs.
- You’ll also learn to use and maintain hand tools, power tools, setting out equipment, ancillary and safety equipment.
Who we are looking for
- This position is open to all who are enthusiastic, willing to learn, and committed to their chosen career!
- We’re looking for someone with a creative flair and with good attention to detail.
- You enjoy working outdoors.
- You’re dependable, organised and conscientious, and take pride in seeing a job well done.
- You’re a great team player.
What we can offer you
- Share of gratuities and service charge see next section for details
- 33 days annual leave (pro rata)
- Meals on shift are provided free of charge
- Uniform provided
- Access to staff benefit scheme
- Complimentary use of staff gym and fitness classes
- Discounted estate activities including quad biking and horse riding
- Discount in the club shop
- Generous ‘refer a friend’ bonus scheme
- Colleague events
About Gratuities and Service Charge
- Gratuities (tips) and service charge (an additional charge added to room rates and other services at the Club that is passed directly to staff) are paid to all employees on a pro-rata basis regardless of their role.
- It is estimated that in 2023, full-time staff can expect to receive around £4,000 in addition to their annual salary.
How to Apply
To apply, visit the link HERE to fill in a short application form.
Closing date for applications: July 21st, 2023.